Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Betsey Johnson Classically Betsey pink heart dress

This is a rare non-Jfashion brand item feature post, but I'm excited about it enough to give it its own spotlight! I found it without purposefully searching for something like this, just when I was trying to kill some time and walk around a bit, so that makes it even more of a great find to me!

Betsey Johnson Classically Betsey Dress in pink 
These longer/midi-length tulle dresses are pretty trendy right now (or even mini-length ones, ala Selkie, ofc), but I haven't been dying to jump on the trend because I really questioned how much I would wear the item compared to how much they cost. (This is just for me personally because I don't tend to wear a lot of tulle.) I was actually just browsing the racks at Saks Off 5th when I saw this bright pink color jump out at me from a sea of long darker dresses. The size I (thought I) wanted wasn't available but the dress still seemed like it would be an OK fit, so I added it to my stack and went to try it on.
I posted about it in my stories and on Twitter and got a lot of positive feedback about it which kept it at the front of my mind. (There was also a Kate Spade New York dress that I had half an eye on as well but it cost 2x as much as this dress even at 75% off!) I continued to think about it over the weekend and then went back a couple days later, saw it was still available, re-tried it on and then decided it definitely sparked joy, haha.


with Steve Madden Lipa clear heel mules + Kate Spade New York picnic in the park purse -

with Liz Lisa gingham ribbon cardigan and Liz Lisa double ribbon clear heel sandals + DIY gingham ribbon woven purse -

with Honey Cinnamon fukubukuro jacket, Forever21 heart pouchette and Steve Madden Lipa clear heel mules + offbrand beret -

with Liz Lisa 3-way trench coat (cropped portion only), offbrand circle scarf and Michael Kors ankle boots -

with Liz Lisa momonga cardigan and Liz Lisa double ribbon clear heel sandals + Samantha Vega ruffle purse -
I bought the pink Steve Madden mules to specifically match with this dress! I was surprised to find something that matched in style and color so well, but I guess that's somewhat what's trendy right now. It was definitely an impulse buy influenced by my friend who ended up getting a twin pair in green! This type of almost acidic pink isn't in my typical palate + the midi length, so I didn't think I'd have a lot to work with in my wardrobe since a lot of my sandals have ankle straps which really cut off that portion of the leg, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how the double ribbon clear heel sandals did. I wish my red shoes were another option but sadly I wasn't fond of how the cross strap pumps paired with the length of dress. In any case, I actually think I have more options for coordinating the dress than initially anticipated, but absolutely no regrets buying the mules because they're A+ to me.

If you are considering this dress for yourself - please know it very much runs small. This is 2 sizes up from the size I typically wear (even including other Betsey Johnson dresses) and I think it fits almost perfectly. The bodice doesn't have any stretch at all, so keep this in mind!

I wore this dress to my going away dinner with my friends before leaving Hawaii for Japan! Paired with the Steve Madden mules ofc and a bolero from Hollister. I didn't have a suitable purse available in Hawaii (most of my stuff had been sent to Japan) so I borrowed this old one from my mom!
I was quite happy that I was able to put this together with my limited wardrobe (although I bought the shoes so that was cheating) and it felt appropriate for the occasion. I hope I'll feel confident enough to wear it in some way in Japan during the upcoming spring season!

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your posts about non-jfashion pieces, especially styled with jfashion clothes! This dress is so cute! -Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really worried about how I would style this in more than just 1 or 2 ways, but I was very happy with the results!

      Delete
  2. this dress and the shoes are so cute. love how you've styled it and it's definitely giving me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Thank you for the comment and the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. What a nice find! This is a really cute dress. I think I like the outfit with the red cardigan and white shoes the most, though it also looks nice with white cardigans/jackets. It's cool that it makes pink and red work, too.
    The pink shoes that match it look great too, though they look like they could be hard to walk in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was initially only thinking of pairing it with red (red hair accessories, red cropped cardigan, red shoes) but I do think white is a nice pop of color against the bold pink!
      I was raised to hate plastic shoes (my mom's bias lol) but my friend convinced me to get them and she considers them super comfortable! I think they will need a little breaking in (and a lot of bandaids to get to that point) but aside from the plastic material, they're nicely padded on the sole actually haha.

      Delete
  4. This dress is so cute on you! I love how many ways you were able to style it! I'm so enamored! I'm debating which size would be right for me, any idea what might fit a 33 inch bust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar enough with this dress to provide an accurate size recommendation personally since I only found it in this one size that would reasonably fit me while shopping (so i didn't try on multiple), but if you can find the measurements, know that there is NO stretch/give with the material in the bust area. I definitely wouldn't get anything smaller than a size 4 (even 4 might be a little small because I'm less than 33" even with a good bra and the fit is not so bad for me).

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it! I can at least rule out a size 4 now. Thank you! 😊

      Delete