Thursday, July 9, 2020

Laurie Fleming Jewellery Brilliant Daphne, Jasmine and Beacen rings

After purchasing a custom Asrai Garden Ring and the simple Aika Ring late last year from Laurie Fleming, I continued to follow her on IG and fall in love with more of her designs. My original engagement ring was a diamond solitaire from my husband's paternal grandmother but he always said if I found one that I loved, that we could update it!
During peak self-isolation in late March, I decided that I wanted to get a quote for a few of Laurie Fleming's rings but to be modified for sapphires instead of diamonds. Sapphire is my birthstone and comes in a lot of different colors + still has quite a high moh's rating which makes it suitable for daily wear and it's quite often cheaper than diamond! I had initially only planned to get 1 ring but ended up with 3!
These were all custom rings and due to work-from-home conditions were estimated to take about 4-6 weeks to complete which is completely understandable. I submitted payment for the Beacen and Jasmine on April 17. I submitted my order and initial deposit for the Daphne on April 22. All 3 rings shipped to me on June 12 and arrived via Fedex on June 17.

Brilliant Daphne ring in 14k white gold, main stone modified with pink OEC sapphire
This is the ring would function as a "replacement" for my original engagement ring. I absolutely loved the side stones adding a little bit of extra sparkle but not in a typical pave or channel set band. I went through a lot of back and forth with Laurie's customer service rep, Shivhan, about center stone selection. I requested a sapphire with just slight color in the lavender or light pink family, primarily looking for round cuts rather than cushion/princess/emerald cuts. They provided a ton of different and amazing sapphires of different shapes and weights and I had so much fun looking through the options. I eventually settled on this very pale "pink" old european cut sapphire with a few visible inclusions. I hadn't previously heard of an "old european cut" (OEC) but really loved the concept and that it was a little bit different than a typical brilliant cut but not too wacky. I very nearly picked a triangular shaped sapphire instead, but we decided we wanted a slightly more traditional look for this ring. Laurie also slightly modified the location of the widest side stones due to my ring size (4.75) to be a bit more towards the center so they wouldn't irritate my other fingers.
The center stone color is very subtle in person and slants a bit more lavender than pink which I am totally in love with (a purplish tint was my first choice). The purple color comes out more in yellower lighting but in direct sunlight/white lights, it looks a lot closer to clear/white. The I love the claw prongs so much in person and enjoy that it's set pretty close to the base of the ring. Although I think that I might prefer the look of the Daphne ring overall with a slightly smaller stone in a general sense, I knew I wanted a size (mm diameter) upgrade for this ring, so I think I made the right choice and I'm very happy with it.

Beacen ring in 14k white gold, modified with white sapphires
I didn't think much of this simple curved ring at first but after seeing it paired with the Daphne ring on Laurie's instagram a number of times, I thought that if I was getting the Daphne, I'd definitely need to get a Beacen to stack with it. I had toyed with the idea of a colored sapphire (light pink or lavender) for this ring instead of white/colorless, but since I wanted a slightly more timeless look and the Daphne would have a colored stone anyway, white was really the best option.
No surprises here, this ring came out just about as I was expecting it! I don't directly have anything to compare it to but I'm happy with the substitution of sapphire for diamonds and I think the effect they have when stacked is very similar. Surprisingly, I also don't mind this ring on its own as it looks like a tiny curved tiara.

Jasmine ring in 14k white gold, modified with white sapphires
I loved the look of this ring when paired with the Aika Ring (which I already own). I also thought it would look excellent with the Asrai Garden Ring. Other than that, I didn't have any super good reasons for wanting it. Changing out the diamonds for white sapphires did bring down the price a decent enough amount for me to consider getting it somewhat on a whim with my overtime pay.
The ring I received actually has the angle and placement of the marquise stones to be a bit more linear/less angular. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about this since the look of the ring when paired with the Aika wasn't nearly the same. I had emailed Shivhan and asked about the design but eventually decided to keep the ring as is because I do like how the flat edge sits with the Daphne and my Asrai Garden ring and I don't hate how it currently pairs with the Aika despite it not being what I expected.

Onto the fun part!

A photo dump of the rings on my actual finger and a bunch of different (stacking) combinations with my Laurie Fleming rings + a few combinations with my original diamond solitaire and a simple straight band for a classic comparison. Due to the ring sizes, these rings fit best on my left ring finger but also fit reasonably on my right ring finger and occasionally on my left middle finger (only 1 ring though and only if my fingers aren't swollen). I often wear one of these stacks on my left hand and one on my right hand for added fun.

Daphne ring + Beacen ring
(rings listed in order from base of finger to fingertip)

Beacen ring + Daphne ring

Beacen ring + Daphne ring + Aika ring

Aika ring + Daphne ring + Beacen ring

Jasmine ring + Daphne ring

Jasmine ring + Daphne ring + Aika ring

Daphne ring + Jasmine ring

Aika ring + Jasmine ring

Beacen ring + Asrai Garden ring

Asrai Garden ring + Beacen ring

Aika ring + Asrai Garden ring

Jasmine Ring + Asrai Garden ring

straight plain band + Asrai Garden ring, diamond solitaire, Daphne ring, Jasmine ring, Beacen ring, Aika ring 

diamond solitaire + Jasmine ring

Aika ring + diamond solitaire + Jasmine ring

Jasmine ring + diamond solitaire + Beacen ring

Beacen ring + diamond solitaire + Aika ring

diamond solitaire & Daphne ring comparison 

And a few different examples in different locations/lighting!

I never thought I'd be one to have multiple pieces of fine jewelry rings, but Laurie Fleming has definitely made me reconsider that. Although I'm likely at my limit with these 5 for the time being, I think they're all unique in their own way and absolutely adore all the different stacks and combinations I can create now. Since I have an office job, I spend a lot of time at the computer with my hands in front of me at the keyboard. Seeing these rings always brings a smile to my face and I'm very happy to support a small, woman-owned business who creates such beautiful products. If I do get another piece in the future, I would love to get a smaller center stone with a more distinct color like Alexandrite!
Do you have a favorite stack or ring from what I've shown? I think my current favorite is the Jasmine ring + Asrai Garden ring. I love that the marquise stones look a bit like leaves 🍃

For more pictures of my custom Asrai Garden ring and the Aika ring, check out my previous related post - Laurie Fleming Asrai Garden Ring & Aika Ring ⬅♡

7 comments:

  1. These rings are so pretty - love all the stacking options - the possibilities are endless now. I would love to see an Alexandrite stone ring - I've always admired how it's colour changes. I'm quite fond of the Jasmine + Garden ring actually - it's so pretty and unqiue together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! So I live in Hawaii too and I feel so fortunate to have found your blog post. I have been struggling to decide between the beacen and the jasmine ring. PS I also wanted to get the Akira to pair with the jasmine. I’m curious what did Laurie’s team say about the fact that the ring was more linear than expected? This post and your photos were exactly what I was looking for.... I’ve been constantly scoping Lauriefleming IG craving for more posts on pairing and more IRL photos (especially of white gold pieces). I was leaning towards the jasmine piece because it’s so unique as a wedding band. I also thought it would hold up well if just worn on it’s own versus the beacen which in my opinion does well when added with another piece. I’d love to hear any additional feedback you could share. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! Yes - I agree with a lot of what you said about the versatility of the jasmine and it standing well on its own (although I do sometimes wear the beacen on its own but it doesn't quite have the same vibe, if that even makes sense).

      WRT the stones in the jasmine being more linear, they did offer for me to return the ring to their studio so they could reset the stones and then send it back to me and was given about 2 weeks to make that determination. In the end, I decided against it because it would have taken 6-8 weeks again for the work to be completed (which I understand but didn't want to wait for it to go and come back bc I'm impatient lol). But I'm sure if you mention in the notes that you want it to look more angled or more linear specifically, they would certainly accommodate that!

      For my personal taste/experience, I end up wearing the Sapphire Daphne with the Beacen the most as a pair for my "Wedding set". When I don't want such a big stone, my first choice is to switch to the jasmine + aika. I haven't been wearing my Asrai Garden Ring as much due to how much handwashing we've been doing in the pandemic but otherwise, I'd probably choose the peony garden ring + jasmine combo fairly equally as well.

      I'm happy to answer any other specific questions you have or post/send additional pictures if that would ever be helpful. Just let me know!

      Delete
    2. Ahh! Thank you for your response and feedback. I think I will eventually order more than one ring to create a stack. & thank you! I will mostlikely include in the notes section to have the setting more of an angle look verses the linear design.

      Delete
  3. Hello, thank you for posting about the jewelry from this company! I recently fell in love with the brilliant Daphne ring as well, it truly is gorgeous, and I just can't seem to find another that measures up. It is so good to know that they have such wonderful customer service. If you don't mind me asking, what size did you end up deciding on for the saphire? I am having trouble visualizing the different sizes of jewels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sapphire is an OEC 1.91ct (7.2mm diameter, 4.9mm depth). I went through a lot of different side-by-side comparisons with the customer service team. If you're planning to do custom or just have a question, I'm sure they would try to accommodate that!

      Delete