Thursday, December 20, 2018

Why I stopped blogging

I'm starting this post in mid May after I've really had some time to reflect and realize that the reason I stopped blogging not just one thing. I'm going forward with posting it because I think some people feel like they are owed an explanation & I would like to share my thoughts/process with you.
(I sporadically added and edited this post over the following months leading up to posting it.)

Why I stopped initially -

  • Just to get this out of the way, it's not because I "grew out of" or stopped wearing Liz Lisa or Japanese fashion. I don't consider wearing Jfashion a requirement to blog nor blogging a requirement if I continue to wear it.
  • To put it simply, I felt sad. The things I had in general no longer made me happy. There were some external factors, but bottom line - I just felt sad and I really didn't want to fake being upbeat on the blog and on social media. So I made the decision to take a giant step back.
  • Tbh (and I realize how immature and selfish this sounds, but it's really honest) I wondered if I would be missed. For some reason, I felt like my content wasn't really being appreciated comparable to the amount of effort I put into it and I just wasn't convinced it was worth it to continue to expend my time and energy towards something with so little impact.
  • Feeling competitive / drawing comparisons / feeling inadequate with other people online. This is a ridiculous thing and I know it, but I couldn't stop myself. I had been feeling that way for several months leading up to me stopping blogging. It encouraged me to step up my content a little bit, but ultimately was more degrading than motivating. The only way I could figure out how to avoid feeling that way was to create distance with the source. It doesn't solve the root of the problem, but it didn't hurt either. 
  • Feeling materialistic. I felt like I had too much stuff. I felt overwhelmed with it (probably related to the sad tbh) and just wanted to get rid of it. I know that I used blogging as an excuse to keep a bunch of things I didn't really need or even necessarily want just because I could possibly use it as a coordinate option. Without the pressure to share what I was wearing and the different kinds of ways it could be styled, I was more free to reduce the volume of clothes in all sorts of random different genres, especially whatever was redundant or too specialized.
  • I also just wanted to be less accessible. I don't know if this makes sense, but I wanted to keep certain things closer to home and I didn't want everyone or maybe even a few specific people to have access to me since my blog and Instagram posts are largely public and can be searched. 
There really wasn't just one specific reason, but rather a feeling that put a thought into my head and other factors to help back it up. There was just more reasons to stop than to continue, or that's how I saw it at the time.
I didn't want to post a goodbye message because I wasn't sure how long the "break" was going to last (don't want to seem wishy washy if I didn't end up quitting), but also because I didn't want questions or comments on the situation. I wasn't ready to entertain anyone's opinions on it or to be encouraged or discouraged. I just wanted to make the decision and not have any obligations either way.

Why I continued the hiatus -

  • After being a couple months in, I realized I enjoyed having my free time back. As many times as I've said it, I'll say it again - Over the past several years, I spent 80% of my non-working hours on blogging-related activities if there wasn't a specific obligation I had to do (for example - family events/errands, church, etc). If I wasn't actively blogging by photographing, editing or writing, I was "researching"/browsing/shopping or trying to come up with ideas or inspiration.
    When I first stopped, there wasn't much for me to do in place of that blogging busy work, and I wondered if that was going to throw me even farther into a gloom, but luckily I had something that ended up quickly distracting me. Eventually, I found ways to occupy the void and was happy to have the freedom/free time to pursue anything I wanted.
  • As of the day this is being published, I don't have an entirely new hobby, but I do spend a lot of my free time just relaxing, doing household chores and tidying, rearranging, etc or just generally hanging out with my bf who also doesn't have an overwhelming amount to do (but also the same work schedule as me so we're off at the same times).
  • I wanted/needed to save money. I really don't want to get into the details, but basically a lot of my blogging involved spending. Whether it was shopping (for jfashion items) or going on trips, I essentially needed to spend money in order to have content. I had an occasional post that utilized only items I already owned, but in trying to keep up with 6 full posts a month, if I wasn't shopping at all, the content would be severely affected. NGL, as much as I wish it didn't, blogging did encourage my shopping/spending habits, and I wanted to cut back on that kind of needless spending a LOT. (This isn't to say that I lost control of my budgeting or went into debt because of blogging or anything like that, but just that in general, I wanted to spend less because I had new priorities.)
  • This blog just isn't needed as much anymore. Liz Lisa seems to have been reaching out to foreigners more; there are official resources in English, even the tokyokawaiilife.com site is working out reasonably well alongside the eBay store (also in English) - both shipping directly overseas now.
    There also developed a fair number of more popular and higher energy bloggers who I think relate to their audience a lot more than I do ( I admit I had put very little effort into audience engagement because it feels too contrived for me) + they also make more purchases, and therefore are more informative than I could ever be. Blogging and posting about Liz Lisa items was no longer as niche as it was back when I started (at least it seemed to me). There will continue to be someone out there who can do what I used to - but better, and I feel very comfortable knowing that.
Or perhaps I'm just lazier now. Ultimately, the pros of continuing the hiatus much outweighed the cons for me. (See below.)

Why I considered coming back
-

  • I love attention :\
    There has always been something particularly rewarding about getting (positive) feedback from other people - especially strangers who have no obligation to like or compliment you. As asinine as it is, I simply loved the attention that came with sharing the favorite portions of my life to a small, engaged audience.
  • I had enjoyed connecting with others who had similar interests. I don't really have anyone IRL who I can chat with about jfashion stuff or just really fashion in general. When I was still posting, I was constantly inspired by others - not just with outfits/coordinates but also their drive and spirit. There are people I know in my personal life who are that way as well ofc, but there's something that somehow aligns a little bit better when you also have the same shopping habits as others lol.
  • Related to above, I always said I wasn't really part of it [the jfashion/Liz Lisa community]. I guess because I didn't want to feel an obligation towards anything in particular or to necessarily be associated with the negativity that I always hear about, but I was at least on the outskirts. But there was something to be missed about the sense of camaraderie and being able to discuss and get excited about new releases and seeing big purchases.
  • I became happy again.
    When I was "less sad", I started checking the blogs and online shops again. I wanted to shop. I sold a lot of my wardrobe, so even though I wanted to save money, I had a little wiggle room for the occasional frivolous purchase within reason. Sometimes I really wanted to post about an item I was particularly excited or disappointed with - to share my opinion and have a discussion with other customers about it. Basically, once I found myself in a better mental space, I considered taking a dive back into social media/blogging.
Obviously, I never really came back, but I did scratch the itch (so to speak) by working on  posts like this in my spare time.

Do I have regrets?
No and yes. I don't regret the actions I took, but I know that I could have done them in a better way. I do feel like I did what was right for me and the results of that speak for themselves. This year, I generally felt better about myself and was more engaged with my irl friends and family. I have a lot less clothes, but don't feel stressed about managing them all and wondering whether it's excess to the point of harm. Storage isn't a problem and I don't struggle to find room in the closet (as much as before!). Afaik, many people I sold to were happy to see the items available for sale, and I'm glad they are in new homes.

Meanwhile, how have you all been? I had been checking into my social media accounts very sparingly in the first half of the year but removed myself almost completely in the second half. Hope you've been well and I'm glad to have your readership after a long year.

P.S. Check out my new post ["My 2018"] for what I've been up to this past year.

24 comments:

  1. I had the same feelings 3 years ago. I think I even skip a year because I had some personal life changing events that happened to me on those months. But now that I am back I was happy I decided to come back and blog about all the events that happened to me this recent couple of years. I am glad you back blogging tho. Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate on you on that note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that you are happy and have continued your blogging! It's so good to know that I'm not alone with these feelings.

      Delete
  2. Just randomly found your blog after doing a google image search for liz lisa and I'm so surprised you posted this on the exact day i stumbled upon you! I must be lucky because I'm really enjoying looking back at your content. I'm glad the time off was good for you, I myself stay off of social media like instagram for the most part bc I'm too comparative and essentially jealous a lot of the time. I also totally get the attention seeking thing, I get the same way. It's so good of a feeling but definitely not healthy to base too much self worth on it. I hope I can find validation in other ways like you did! I'm going to keep up with your content if you do continue to post, and if you don't then don't sweat it, your happiness and peace of mind should come first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! It's feedback like this that really makes it feel like what I have done was worthwhile. Hope you found the content you were looking for here <3

      Delete
  3. Omg how I missed you! Every now and then after the last post, I kept searching around to see if you had said you were quitting or something and I missed it. But thank you for letting us know what happened!

    But I see a lot of bloggers have felt a lot of the same thing. You put too much on your plate and have really crazy end goals. But you get overwhelmed and you end up hurting. But like I have told a lot of bloggers - you are the writer. It's your content and your blog. While it would be nice to just have blogging as your main job and then you can spend as much time as you want on it, sometimes it's just not feasible. And while many of us greatly appreciated all of the hard work you put into everything, you still have to worry about YOUR well-being. You come first.

    When stuff started going down for me, I knew that I had to take a break. And after everything, I wanted a new start. I tested it out first and look to really going full steam with the new year. But I'm doing it at MY pace. I think that's how everyone should try to be. With technology and social media going at super speed, when do we have time to be ourselves and stop trying to be machines just spitting out content?

    I really hope you continue blogging but only if it makes you happy and it's how you want it to be. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you taking an interest in my blog and I'm sorry I didn't have a more clear resolution. Your support is invaluable to me.

      Delete
  4. missed your blog a lot. I'm sure you know that though lol. I'm happy that you are happier though! I feel bad cause I didn't really pick up on your sadness and that makes me feel like a pretty shitty friend now so I'm sorry for that :(. I'm glad your happier and that makes me happy too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely not a shitty friend! I tend to wallow and close myself off when I'm feeling sad, but I know for a fact that if I reached out to you, you would have been there for me in an instant. I know I can always count on you.

      Delete
  5. i definitely missed you!! i check your instagram from time to time when i miss your outfit posts. i'm so glad you're feeling much better now. during the past previous posts, it felt like you were wearing yourself thin, and you had already warned us that you wanted to stop. so, you don't owe anyone an explanation, but it's very considerate that you've decided to allow us to have some sort of closure.

    tbh i usually refer other people to just your japan trips posts because they are super informative. surprisingly, these people have always heard of you! they don't wear liz lisa, are a large range in genders and styles, and are typically very internet active (which is prob why they've heard of you). to me, your blog isn't as "fringe" as it feels for you but that just might be me.

    even if you dont continue blogging (totally fine!), i hope you'll continue to leave this blog up for us. if you do decide to continue blogging from time to time, it's okay if it's sporadic! do what feels right for you. your mental health is so, so important. truly, thank you for all the time and energy that you spent into being the best possible resource on liz lisa for english readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and for referring others to my blog! It's really nice to know that the posts I've worked so hard on in the past are still being read and utilized. I truly appreciate your support before and through my absence.

      Delete
  6. I do not even buy Liz Lisa or dress in that style but I really loved your blog. It was a window to a very different world from mine.

    Your trips to japan made me feel like I was there and shopping with you! And I loved reading about your new outfits.

    I hope this new era for you is awesome. And although I feel sad you are no longer blogging after all you have to do what makes you happy.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your well wishes and for reading my blog! I'm happy that you still found some appeal to it even though you don't wear Liz Lisa yourself.

      Delete
  7. YES YOU WERE MISSED! Girl I still check your old blog entries from years ago to get inspiration for outfits and to track down older LL pieces. I prefer written content over videos anyday! I randomly checked today to see if you have worn pictures of a coat I'm looking for and was SO excited to see a post from you 😊. My other friends in the himekaji fashion and I defintely mentioned a couple times how we missed your blog and posts because no one else could do it like you. I totally understand 1000% why you stepped away and I'm glad you took time to focus on yourself. I'm glad to see you're in a better place. I do hope you come back someday but only when you're ready 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I also personally prefer photo/written content vice videos which is one of the reasons I personally invested in blogging more than youtube! Thank you so much for continuing to check in and leaving this comment. Your support is very meaningful to me and I hope you have a great 2019! Sorry for the late comment back :X

      Delete
  8. I’ve known you from Dayre and from there I’ve gotten to know you better. I feel you don’t necessarily need to always post about Liz Lisa or other clothing brand that requires spending. To be honest I really enjoyed the posts you wrote on dayre like how was your day, what you ate and how were you feeling on that particular day. Every once in awhile would be nice to know how you’re doing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to look back at my Dayre after your comment and I really miss that platform a lot even though I didn't use it to its fullest potential. It's really too bad that it didn't survive but I'm glad we had it for the time that we did. I may end up posting a few monthly updates here instead, similar to my newest post now ("My 2018" but not the whole year at once) based on the feedback I get. Thank you for your comment and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. Hi! I’ve never actually commented on any of your blog posts before, but I wanted to let you know that posts have definitely been invaluable for me- they first introduced me to Liz Lisa years ago and I started loving the brand because of your posts. Now I have started buying more Liz Lisa items and I still look back on some of your old blog posts for outfit inspiration and the such haha. Its great that you are feeling better! To be honest, social media really is so draining sometimes; I think its good that you had the opportunity to just take a step back and live life. If you ever want to return, you will be welcomed, but don’t feel pressured to do so. Do what you enjoy and live happily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to say that I really appreciate comments like this - it really makes the work I put into my blog feel like it was worthwhile! I'm happy that I was able to showcase the brand in a positive way and be a reliable source. I hope you have a great 2019 and thank you so much for your feedback. ♥

      Delete
  10. Wow, I'm glad I checked back after all this time and even more glad that you posted something! I kind of figured that might have been why your blog went on a hiatus, but I bought a lot of things from you during the course of it and saw you selling some newer Liz Lisa items, so I was kind of happy/relieved(?) to see that you weren't "quitting" the fashion or anything. Your blog has always been an inspiration to me in terms of branching out and trying new styles--I bought my first couple of Bordeaux pieces this year after clinging to pink and white exclusively for so long and your posts on how you style the different shades of them were a big help. Your Japan trip posts have always been informative and helpful as well--I still have one in particular about how you carry your luggage bookmarked for reference for my next trip too. I'm so glad to see that the time off from the pressures of blogging have healed your heart and while I do enjoy seeing more posts from you again, I hope you continue to do what is best for your well-being. ♥ Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha great detective work, but also thank you for respecting my privacy as well.
      Yes! I loved and still love bordeaux - it really screams autumn to me which is one of my favorite seasons. I'm happy I was able to do a whole set of trip outfits with just that one color to Japan this year ♥
      Your comment is so heartwarming to me and I truly, truly appreciate it. All my best to you in 2019!

      Delete
  11. Hi! I've always loved reading you blog, and I'm so glad I saw your Instagram story this morning! I wanted to let you know that the clothes I bought from you are still in my closet and being loved dearly, so thank you so much! I had worried a bit when you stopped blogging, but I'm glad to know that you're doing well. I would love to see you blog from time to time, but as someone who used to blog about other things, I totally understand if you decide against it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear about the clothes! I noticed some people reselling at a higher price just within months and even though it's totally within their rights to do so, it always makes me cringe a little. Sorry to have made you worry but thank you so much for still supporting me and leaving me this comment! Wishing you the best 2019!

      Delete
  12. hey emi, we definitely missed you! I don't check social media often these days but I did occasionally go to your blog directly and worried a bit/ wondered why you weren't updating. I considered shooting a message but I figured that youd have a good reason and I didn't want to pressure you - I totally understand that social media can be time consuming / not the best thing for your mental space all the time. your blog is one of my favourites and of course your health and happiness comes first! I'm glad things are going well re:your 2018 post - saving money definitely seems like the right thing for you and congratulations on the house!!
    I think your followers would love to see your outfit photos even if they are featuring items we've seen before - I noticed in the past you mostly only uploaded new clothes, I think your everyday outfits are definitely worth posting and might lessen that feeling of pressure to buy more :) only if you want to ofc.
    much love emi!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for respecting my privacy and all of your (continued) support. I'm doing my best to find the right blogging solution for me in 2019 :)

      Delete